Friday, November 13, 2009

Nothing Rhymes With Orange


I couldn't resist listening to a conversation between two 14 year old girls on the downtown N train on my way home today. The shorter girl with great big hair wrote in a spiral notebook on her lap. I tuned in when the taller girl said, "Nothing rhymes with orange." She rolled her eyes and looked out the window as we crossed the Manhattan Bridge.

The short girl looked at her friend annoyed - "I know that. Nothing rhymes with purple either."

I couldn't help but interject one of my very favorite facts: "Nothing rhymes with wasp either!"

The girls looked at me for a second before getting back to work. The short girl scribbled something quick, and the tall one laughed.

All right for you, you cheerleaders - have a fun time at the pep rally - I hope your purple and orange team wins! I'll keep my lyrical gangstering to myself next time.

The exchange threw me back to my middle school days when my inner and outer dork were one. But if I inspired them to make up a word to rhyme with Wasp - it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment